Dry statistics say that half of the world's population are carriers of parasitic worms. Currently, scientists have more than 200 species. The man lives for many years, not paying attention to the symptoms and not knowing about the presence of uninvited "guests". But more often the opposite happens: the organism, weakened by the presence of parasites, becomes an easy "catch" for various types of diseases, all the way to oncology. Some worms are removed with medication, but there are also those that can only be treated with surgery.
Parasite varieties and methods of infection
For a successful fight you need to know the enemy by sight. What are the parasites in the human body and where exactly should they be looked for?
- Roundwormsare the most common group. They include pinworms, roundworms, toxocara, whipworms, scratches. They live in the digestive system of humans. Infection occurs when eating unwashed vegetables, fruits, greens. At the same time you need to wash all the products, even from your own garden. There is also a danger of getting helminths by eating salted fish, bacon and lightly fried meat. At risk are those who have pets - cats and dogs. Some parasites do not multiply on animals, but the latter are their active vectors.
- Tape- pork and beef tapeworm, echinococcus, broad tapeworm. These are the largest representatives of worms - tapeworms, for example, reach 25 m in length. They have a unique ability to nurture the whole body. In addition, they can move through the human body, including the brain and spinal cord. Worms of this class are infected by eating poorly cooked meat and fish - a sick individual can be a source of delicious food. Products that have passed strict veterinary control should be purchased.
- Subcutaneous- heartworm, filamentous nematode, scab. They multiply in the subcutaneous tissue of the host. The most widespread parasites of this species are found in tropical countries - India, Iraq, Africa. The infection is spread by blood-sucking insects - mosquitoes, flies, bed bugs. Its main symptom is a small formation that moves when pressed.
- Trematode (flukes)- fasciola (liver fluke), schistosome, fascilopsis. They live in the liver, biliary tract, pancreas, intestines. The infection is caused by half-baked, salty or undercooked fish. Drinking unboiled water also contributes to the formation of parasites.
- Tissue- trypanosomes, Finns live in the brain and spinal cord, sarcosporidia - in the striated muscles, and microsporidia - in the connective tissue. This class lives in various body tissues. They are basically carriers of wild and domestic animals and birds - horses, sheep, pigs, chickens, ducks, dogs, cats. Through poorly cooked meat, parasites penetrate the human body.
Symptoms of infection
It is not always realistically easy to determine that “guests” have settled in the body. An infected person may be unaware of their presence for several years. The signs of the presence of parasites are very often similar to the symptoms of certain diseases. There is a whole list of signals that the body gives in case of danger:
- anemia - excessive amount of protozoa causes large blood loss, which is the cause of iron deficiency;
- nausea, abdominal pain - worms irritate and damage the walls of internal organs, resulting in wounds, microcracks and inflammation;
- change of constipation and diarrhea - the first symptom occurs due to a large number or excessive size of parasites in the body, which contributes to blockage of the intestinal lumen. Diarrhea is caused by special substances secreted by protozoa that can destroy chlorides and sodium;
- bloating (increased gas production) and bloating are the result of inflammation in the worm-damaged digestive tract. Therefore, there is no absorption of fat in the small intestine, which immediately enters the large intestine;
- Bruxism (grinding teeth) is a clear sign of infection. This is how the nervous system reacts to a certain stimulus;
- skin problems - peeling, acne, boils, eczema, papillomas, warts, changes in the structure of hair and nails, allergic manifestations. These symptoms occur due to the fact that protozoa secrete many toxins that the liver cannot cope with elimination. Accordingly, they all accumulate in man. The body tries to get rid of that dirt in any way, including removal through the skin;
- sudden weight loss or gain - "thanks" to the absorption of nutrients by worms, the human body experiences a lack of them, which leads to weight loss; weight gain occurs due to a drop in blood sugar, which increases the feeling of hunger, which the patient must constantly satisfy;
- Pain in the joints and muscles occurs due to the movement of parasites through the body and their establishment in the muscles and joint fluid. This symptom indicates inflammation of the tissues;
- deterioration of immunity, which causes permanent diseases that are difficult to diagnose. The reason for this is the fight of the human immune system with worms. With this symptom, the amount of immunoglobulin decreases and the body becomes helpless against virus attacks and infections;
- Frequent cough, abundant sputum production, runny nose, fever occur due to the fact that during the migration process, worms enter the respiratory tract. Parasites in the body can cause the development of asthma and pneumonia;
- increased fatigue, nervousness, irritability are caused by the fact that worms consume nutrients needed by humans, which the body does not receive - magnesium, potassium, calcium, iron;
- when infected with pinworms, severe itching in the anus is added to the above symptoms of the presence of parasites. This is due to the fact that pinworm females crawl at night to lay eggs, which sometimes causes unbearable stinging.
Going to the doctor
If a person finds at least 3-4 of the above symptoms, you should see a doctor as soon as possible and undergo treatment.
In such cases, contact the following experts:
- parasitologist; helmintologist;
- infectious disease specialist;
The specialist will certainly give a referral for tests and based on their results select the optimal therapy. Depending on the symptoms and treatment should be appropriate. Research alone is unlikely to give a definitive answer about the presence or absence of parasites. Tests for some types of worms are done 7-8 times.
Another important nuance:if the infection is confirmed, all family members are treated and prevented from parasites. Most protozoa spread rapidly in everyday life: dishes, household items.
The reason for going to the doctor is as follows:
- recent return from travel abroad, especially from African or Asian countries;
- presence of various impurities in the feces - mucus, blood;
- sudden weight loss;
- itching in the anus;
- prolonged diarrhea or alternating constipation with diarrhea;
- frequent colds or other illnesses.
There are a number of symptoms that accompany helminthiasis. Few people realize that banal fatigue can be the result of helminthic invasions. A baby infected with parasites immediately begins to lose appetite, and does not even want to eat their favorite foods, wants to eat sweets. There are pains and cramps in the abdomen, nausea (especially in the morning), diarrhea. Often the child becomes moody, irritable, his sleep is disturbed, grinding his teeth can be noticed in his sleep (although today scientists are debating whether grinding is a sign of helminthiasis), emptying the bladder, coughing (no signs of a cold). Worms in children cause a delay in physical and mental development, in helminthiasis later puberty occurs, memory and thinking disorders are observed.
Lovers of dried and semi-raw meat, thermally unprocessed minced meat and fresh fish are in danger. This also includes children of preschool and primary school age, pet owners, employees of veterinary clinics and those who often work with the land in professional or other activities. For example, summer residents.
To prevent parasitic worms, you need to follow some rules:
- wash your hands more often, especially for children and adults after contact with animals;
- kill domestic insects - flies, mosquitoes, cockroaches;
- Wash vegetables and fruits thoroughly, preferably with warm boiled water.
A wide range of parasite control drugs is available. Those who want to achieve a good result in the fight against an internal enemy must know against whom the war is going on. This is learned only after a visit to the doctor and taking tests.
Of course, there are medications that can successfully cure several types of worms at once. However, they do not only kill parasites, but also the beneficial microflora of humans. After taking it, a course of restorative therapy is carried out.
Under no circumstances should you be cured. All antiglusants are synthetic drugs that can have toxic effects on the liver, blood cells and the immune system. For this reason, do not use them without the need and advice of a doctor. For prevention, it is better to use folk recipes for the treatment of worms in humans.
Even if there are no symptoms of parasites, prophylaxis is carried out every six months or a year. It has long been known that worms do not tolerate fragrant plants and plants: garlic, garlic, tansy, wormwood. The oldest known remedy against helminths is pumpkin seeds. It is enough to buy a package of this product in any pharmacy or store, carefully peel it (but do not remove the green shell) and eat it.
There are many popular ways to get rid of helminths. Here are the simplest ones:
- in spring and summer they eat a few leaves of sorrel on an empty stomach;
- in winter it is very good to bathe with the addition of an infusion of anise. This substance easily enters the body through the pores of the skin. And since it has a pungent odor, parasites cannot tolerate it;
- a medicine that absolutely everyone can afford, even pregnant and breastfeeding women - pumpkin seeds;
- two hundred ml pour 2 tbsp. l. oak bark. Insist on a closed thermos - so that the water is better saturated with phytoncides;
- one art. l. tansy flowers pour a glass of boiling water and then insist under the lid for 4 hours. Then filter and drink 1 tbsp. l. 4 times a day half an hour before meals;
- mix 150 ml of alcohol and 1 tbsp. l. wormwood. The mixture is infused for 2 weeks, after which 20 drops are taken 3 times a day 30 minutes before meals.
There is no need to be shy and let the problem of helminth infection go its course. If you consult a specialist when the first signs of the disease appear and undergo a course of treatment, you can avoid many diseases. Once you get rid of the parasite, the basic hygiene rules are followed - and the worms will never appear in the body again. After all, it is easier to prevent a disease than to cure it long and painfully.